Two [are] better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him [that is] alone when he falleth; for [he hath] not another to help him up. Ecclesiastes 2:9-12
Many of us with mental illness are good at isolating. We tell ourselves that we are better off alone, that no one understands us anyway, that we don’t need people, and any number of things that shame us into believing we are defective
The Bible has a lot to say about friendship. There’s a reason for this. You’ve heard the expression, “God doesn’t give us more than we can handle.” Well, I think God meant for us to handle what He gives us. but not to handle it alone!
Why am I talking about this? Well, today I am going to meet a friend for lunch. I woke up at 6:30 a.m, and at 6:35 the negative voices started:
- Everyone else in the world is getting ready for work, and here you are going to lunch? Well aren’t we special!
- She doesn’t get you anyways. Why don’t you stay home?
- You know you are too tired. You could take a nap.
- Friends have hurt you in the past.
- It’s supposed to snow.
So how do I counteract these voices?
- You have a mental illness. Going to lunch with a friend is therapeutic.
- She does get you. Anything she doesn’t get, you haven’t told her. She loves you, and even on Sunday she said she wants to be a good friend to you.
- So what if you’re tired. You’d sleep all day if I let you! Staying up will help you to sleep better at night!
- You live in New England. It snows! Remember that blizzard you braved when you used to drink?
Why am I writing this post?
- To counteract the thought that I have nothing to say
- Because I am ashamed of having a mental illness.
- I love bullet posts
Hope you guys have a lovely day, and if there is a friend or two that you could call, why don’t you? Maybe you could blog about it. I don’t know if you’ve heard it as often as I have, but having support is one of the most important principles when we talk about recovery from mental illness and substance abuse.
If all else fails, you could write a comment here, and let go of the negative voices that are running through your mind even now. It helps to write it down!